Old 07-06-22, 08:56 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
This thread has been awesome, so much good info on here!

Yeah, I was basically a recreational powerlifter turned road/gravel cyclist. I still go to the gym, but mainly just to maintain my physique+strength, as opposed to trying to max my PRs. Nowadays if I go too heavy, it does slow down my recovery a bit and it's harder on my joints when cycling. I also ride with some of the LA cycling groups and I'm always impressed at the smooth acceleration of track riders (awesome to draft on the flats); the attack sprints of dedicated roadies and the high cadence ability of hardcore gravel/MTB riders. Most my climbs are usually 15-30 minute climbs 1-2 hours sessions when solo (due to time constraints) and then I go down hill and repeat the process. I'm always trying to beat my Strava PRs as well. I'll usually ride in saddle until the last segment and then go out of saddle to attack the hill. Most my road riding will be climbing the Hollywood Sign, Griffith, Elysian and LA River Bike Path for the flats. For gravel I ride Verdugo Mountains, JPL and Angeles Crest Mtn. trails which definitely forces me to stay on saddle.

So what do you think? Instead of trying to emulate high cadence riders, maybe I should just stick to my out of saddle style and vary the cadence? I do feel like out of saddle is where I feel most natural. For example climbing the last leg of the Hollywood Sign, I try to do it OOS until I reach the top. My heart is about rip out of my chest, but man what a great feeling finishing without stopping!
Track sprinters also strive to have high cadence and many of them have power lifter body build. Quite muscular legs, perhaps, like yours. Some of them do low cadence sessions at high gear, high pedal resistance to improve acceleration. But their peak power comes at very high cadences, well above 140 rpm both OOS and seated!! So they also do A LOT of high cadence training at high power output.

But since your rides and climbs are relatively short, you may not even need to train spinning high cadence seated but the training would still help quite a bit to keep your legs fresh for the last segment OOS sprint.
Likes For koala logs: