Old 02-18-22, 11:03 AM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
One concern, however, is that the LBS apparently tightened them while telling you they were well built. Tighter is not necessarily better, and can even lead to catastrophic rim failure if it's too much. Hope the mech used a spoke tension meter and knows what they're doing.
So I first thought about dropping in the "too high tension might be counterproductive", but then to ease off the OP mind a bit after this last comment above let me say this: If you want read the recommended tension off the rim (it will look something like max 100kgf or 950 Nm or a range). If you cannot find it try to find out what rim model it is. I could tell you that overtightening spokes for beyond e.g. 1200 Nm is physically hard to do with normal spoke wrench, it just does not feel right and I cannot picture an LBS mechanic doing this around the whole rim without feeling the pain. Lots of wheels can take up to 1200 Nm and I would expect yours to be at that end because how else does one build a 24-spoke stable wheel than with high spoke tension.

Unless you saw the mechanic literally giving birth at each and every spoke while "tuning your wheel", you can sleep peacefully at night. And that comes from me who has had a wheel come back out of dish from an LBS once and took up wheel lacing myself since.

If you were into more intricate details just for the fun of it, feel free to delve in:
https://spokecalc.io/spoke-tension-t...ive-guide.html

EDIT: Also this is rear wheel we are talking, if the LBS went crazy tight it would very likely bring the whole wheel out of dish. If you have rim brakes you would have noticed right away, if not you can check still.

Last edited by am8117; 02-18-22 at 11:10 AM.