Old 01-15-19, 12:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@Heathpack The seminole work on self image, human goal seeking and psychology of what humans believe to be true is Psycho-Cybernetics, by Dr. Maltz. Maltz was a plastic surgeon and he found that he could fix peoples facial features and abnormalities but even after successful surgery they still thought they were ugly. So, he expanded his practice to include psychology by taking courses and including psychological assistance to patients as well as surgical. The combination resulted in patients that were happy with their surgical results or did not even require surgery in the first place.

Maltz's premise in the book is that the human central nervous system is unable to differentiate what is real and what is vividly imagined. And the human brain is the ultimate goal seeking machine. Hence the title Psycho-Cybernetics. I read the book on advice from a psychologist in the early 70s as part of job seeking assistance in college. I have re-read it a couple of times over the years. It is a must read for athletes.

I was talking with Jim Manton after my last aero testing session and he said it was interesting that many UCI pro riders, who are great climbers, are unable to time trial. Their CdA and power profile indicates that they are very competitive but unable to visualize themselves as a time trialist. You may or may not know this but Jim is a kick ass cyclist and used to coach with Hunter Allen.

I told him about Psycho-Cybernetics and it may have implication for some of his clients. He was all over it. He said cyclists come to him with all these beliefs and fit issues and he fixes their fits issues and makes them perfect but they are unable to execute - the problem is in their head and they cannot capitalize on the refinements he has made. Their self image and belief structure needs fixing.

Interesting stuff. YMMV