Thread: Tent Size
View Single Post
Old 03-27-24, 05:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3477 Post(s)
Liked 1,476 Times in 1,152 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
---
My sleeping bag is rated at 30 degrees. I was planning on socks and full pj's for sleeping. I have a puffy jacket I can lay over the bag plus a light towel.
You should do ok. Some tents are warmer than others, depends on the layout of the netting and venting in different wind conditions. I agree with the others, your insulation is much more important. A stocking cap is REALLY nice to have on a chilly night. If it is windy, all tents will not hold much warmth in them, size does not help much in wind to hold warmth. I pack my stocking cap with my sleeping bag, so they do not get separated.

If you start out biking on a 40 degree morning, do you have the right clothing? I like an insulated ear band but the helmet has to still fit over that insulation.

On a van supported trip, you might have lots of room one night and really crowded spaces the next.

Ground can be soft grassy soil and the next night packed gravel. And if it is really flat, make sure you did not pick the bowl shaped spot for your tent before the thunderstorm.

Photo is from the last van supported trip I did on a sub freezing morning.

I left my water bottles on my bike overnight, a mix of ice and water in the morning.