Old 10-03-19, 01:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
Okay, I finally made a decision today.

I’m going with the wheel builder option. A new DT Swiss R 460 rim with all new spokes mated to my current hub. I’m having it done at a small three person shop, but they have been around for a while. It is going to be approximately $55 for the rim, $55 for spokes, and $50 for labor.

The DT Swiss rim is warrantied for 2 years, but no actual warranty on the wheel build. Shop owner said “case by case basis”, which to me translates to zero.

Won’t be ready until Friday the 11th, they had to order the rim.

Another shop I tried came up with a nice Mavic rim paired with a Shimano hub and freewheel, for around $300. They didn’t do wheel builds. They had no warranty info, which I found off putting.

With the wheel build being half the price of a new rear wheel complete, it was a fairly easy decision.
Good luck! It sounds like a good wheel if they get the tension right. You never know, I had a guy build a rear wheel for my mountain bike a couple months ago and it has been great. The guy is a friend of my LBS, I think I'll be asking him to build any wheels I might need in the future.