we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr View Post
I've read some people ride with tools in their pockets so they can adjust on the road because that's how often you have to adjust some mechanical disc brakes.

Re mechanical discs....I was wondering the same (when I was shopping) but now that I've put on some miles on my Indie I have only had to make an adjustment (once) after removing the front wheel for transport. All that was required was re-loosing the front wheel and re-seating it so the rotor was true between the pads.
That said......I do carry tools in my backpack just in case.
How do you find the position on the Indie? Did you have to adjust the bars upward? (I can't tell in the pictures but it looks like the bars sweep back.)

Anyway, this thread is a bit weird in the sense that I went from considering hybrids to mountain bikes and now to cruisers. Because of a bit of chondromalacia in my knees, the laid back style of a cruiser might annoy my knees. But, I think if I buy a seatpost with a pronounced setback and install it back to front then push the saddle forward as far as I can, that might do. Then I could change to 30mm riser bars on the Specialized Roll and be done with it. The Specialized Roll has 27.5x2.3" tires, rigid forks and V-brakes. The kind of bike that I could probably tour with without having problems with complicated disc brakes nor suspension forks. All I'd need are front and back racks and fenders. Plus I could change the crankset to a 46/30T and add a front derailleur and front 2x shifter. And install a 142mm saddle. One person on Youtube measured the tire on a Roll and it was nearly 62mm. I mean if I had any questions that V-brakes could work with 2.4" tires, then I have my answer.

There are also others in the same category such as the Jamis Hudson & Explorera 2 and Marin Stinson. Actually, in the Cyclingabout channel on Youtube, one person said V-brakes are simpler to maintain on the road.