View Single Post
Old 07-23-20, 07:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I have a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp triple. Great bike. However, I have never felt confident going downhill on windy roads that weren't completely smooth. I always feel like if there is some bumpiness (gravel or those "wake up you are about to go into the opposite lane divots") and I am riding the brakes that I'm on the verge of losing control. I get the sense that the brakes are about to chatter locking up after losing contact with the road momentarily. I have felt this with other bikes so I think it is my technique more than anything.

Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the drops or top of the bars, as soon as I use the brakes with road chatter I feel like "this might be the ride". Probably doesn't matter that I'm on a straight or windy road, I guess I just ride windy hills more often. Any suggestions? I'm not going super fast, maybe 30mph max.

Anybody else have this experience?
It's not your technique; it's normal. When you hit bumps, your bike (front tire, rear tire, both perhaps) bounces slightly off the pavement. If you are applying your brakes at that moment, then sure, one (or both) wheels can lock up. That's possible because, when the wheel loses contact with pavement, it will take very little braking power for it to lock up.

The solutions are to (1) use your brakes lightly and judiciously, (2) shift your weight back and get low on the bike (to aid with stability), and (3) avoid the bumps by looking ahead at the smooth portions of the pavement. (We tend to steer in the direction we are looking.)

I'm sure others will chime in with more advice, but that's mine.