View Single Post
Old 09-16-21, 02:37 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Hang out at Bike Heaven just off the trail. I don't know how late they are open but it might be worth it to use up the extra hours.
Bicycle Heaven's website says they close at 7:00 PM. Since the OP says he'll be here in a couple of weeks, that'll mean he'd be riding back to the train station at dusk.

Originally Posted by MidLife50
Depends on your alternatives but I had a good experience in the Cultural District. After you "finish" the Gap at the Point, continue around and up the Allegheny River (river on your left) on the Three Rivers Heritage Trail. Turn right (still on the trail) and take the trail up through the Convention Center. You don't hit any streets until it stubs out at 10th Street. Take the next right turn onto Penn Ave and you'll be in the Cultural District.

Penn Ave has closed 2 traffic lanes to provide bike lanes and outdoor dining room and there are lots of pubs, restaurants, etc (and bike traffic) in the next few blocks. I'm partial to the Standard Market and Pint House at 947 Penn Ave (next to the Courtyard by Marriot). Plentiful seating in/out and bike parking. Best of all, open late, many people around and only 2 blocks from train station. Good luck.

Cultutral District shaded pale yellow and outlined.
Good advice here. I haven't eaten or hung out in the Cultural District for awhile so I have no exact restaurant or pub suggestions, but I ride through it on evening rides. It's a happenin' place. Feels safe, close to the train station, and right on a segregated bike path that runs up from Point State Park on Penn Avenue.

You can download the whole map here: Bike Pgh Map
Likes For Altair 4: