View Single Post
Old 10-01-21, 04:10 PM
David.MPB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Day1 was a complete fiasco and lesson in lack of planning

After getting out of Union Station it was a bit difficult to get bearings. I never planned a sightseeing tour but rather the only thing I did want to visit was the Lincoln memorial.

Heading that direction I spied the capitol building. Went closer spoke to a cop for a few minutes. Front area is section off for repairs.

The I proceeded down the mall which was in the process of two things. Setup for Washington university ceremony and a truck show. Like big rig trucks.

Kinda took away the “impressive “ factor. Spoke to some people.

Anyway I saw that the Jefferson memorial was close by (ish) so off I went. Nope, a lot of repairs and construction too. On to the Lincoln. That was still impressive so a few pic s there.

I figured the whitehouse deserves a view. No it doesn’t. I was so far behind and dehydrated. After the whitehouse I went to find mile zero amongst much traffic.

By the time I got to mile zero I had maybe an hour and half to get to camp. If I knew the way. And if there were no people. By this time I was done with the noise and was quite stressed.

There are no water sources in the early parts of the trail as best I could tell. Why didn’t I get something in DC? Well that’s the lack of planning lesson and perhaps a little panic.

I found a gas station between locks 7 and 8 but didn’t like the route to get to it.

By the time I got the water google maps was getting really confused stressing me out more.

I ended up super high on the hr monitor and bolted for the first campsite I knew about. Marsden Tract?

Anyway it was pitch black on arrival. I saw it was a paid site. National Park service. $40!!

Well that didn’t sit well but I attempted to make a booking but the site would not allow selection of checkout day.

I was was so tired I didn’t care. Things were dropping from trees.

Retired by 8:30 and slept well although fearful some ranger would roust me next morning.

I woke at 5:30 just so I could get out of there. Still in the dark but awesome to see the fog lifting.

So now we’re in day 2 and I realize if I had gone another four miles in the dark I would have missed the great falls overlook. So yay me.

Another plus. Because I was bit paranoid about being somewhere I shouldn’t (didn’t pre pay) I learned I could completely pack and leave in 45 mins. Without particularly rushing but just paying attention to what I unpacked the night before.

That’s a target time I will now be challenged to reduce.

Spent today on an absolutely gorgeous ride. The weather perfect. Scenery perfect. People interesting and I documented all the campsites along the way.

Tonight I rest easier at Bald Eagle island campsite. With just a few train for company. I don’t care about them right now…..