View Single Post
Old 11-18-22, 04:51 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
A little of all 3. At 52, I still haven't found my niche professionally, and the bike was so fun for me, that it countered my Dad's pounding in "If it's fun, it ain't WORK!" through my youth. I know better, sure, but it can be hard to break that kind of conditioning. I don't think I could stand all day every day in the same spot working on bikes anymore, but with my mix of experience, and a little training here and there, I'm sure I can find some way to keep the mortgage paid and have a bit of fun doing it.

The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business, with a side of coaching in "Proficient Cycling". The latter would be a 'catch up' course for those who learned to ride as kids, and need a little help getting back on without looking like a complete noob. I'd leave the race coaching to race coaches, and concentrate on road safety, brake/shifter operation, basic owner performed maintenance, etc.
I attended Barnett’s 18 1/2 years ago at age 50. I was the oldest in the class but not by a lot. John Barnett was still hands on at that time.
Well worth it to me.
Likes For Dan Burkhart: