Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilepines
Thought I'd throw this into the tandem forum - I originally posted about this when I found something about Rene Here tires blowing off hookless rims.
Light Bicycle WR45 rim, 25 mm ID, with Specialized Sawtooth 700 x 38. This was the rear tire on a tandem. Tires have been mounted for a while but have just 2 rides on them. I pumped them to 65 psi today, put the tandem in the truck, and while sitting about 100 feet away thought I heard a gun shot! Tire blew off the rim, but was perfectly intact. Pretty frickin scary in my mind.
Per Light Bicycle the max pressure is 55 psi, so I exceeded that. Still surprising that 55 psi is OK and 65 is not.
If I knew this was an issue I probably would have bought hooked rims.
Wow and wow. Terrifying. For sure I would never run a hookless rim on a tandem, OMG no. For our 287 lb. team, I'd run those 38s at 75-80 for tubes and the same for tubeless just to protect the rims. IMO hookless is crazy, going back to the 60s and 70s problems to save a tiny bit of money on a rim - or increase profits, however one wants to look at it. I certainly don't see any advantage in it.