View Single Post
Old 02-12-21, 06:00 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 893 Posts
Took the GT out on a little cold-weather ride along the East bank of the Mystic River and Mystic Lakes, as sunset approached. No particular ambition attached to this ride, but I wanted to get back on the bike after a couple of days mostly snow shoveling, and wanted to try out a particular ensemble of clothing in the 20degF temperatures.

The denuded trees provided a good view of the Mystic River getting its start from the Lower Mystic Lake.

Road Runner! Not what Jonathan Richman or Chuck Jones had in mind, but sufficient unto the day is the Road Runner thereof. The Lower Mystic Lake is pretty well iced over.

​​​​​​Wandered over to the dam parking lot. Some clouds were showing promise for the sunset, but weren't there yet.

A sign caught my eye. Back in the day, we just called that "parking". I was reminded that this area is something of a local lovers lane, and it was Friday afternoon, running up on a date night. Here and there, cars were settling into spots. A little early (not to mention a little cold) for romance: perhaps there's a sunset-watching scene here.

Swans on the Upper Mystic Lake took to the water, heading for the ice.

Got back on the Mystic Valley Parkway, and rode as far as the bridge crossing the Aberjona River.

I doubled back to the dam, checking on the clouds. Here and there a touch of sunset colors, not completely devoid of charm. And there was that sign again.

Back along the Mystic River, a bit more color in the sky.

The mix of clothing on this ride was working for me as the temperature fell through the 20s. In particular, I was riding with a pair of Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski 3 Finger mittens ("trigger mitts") for the first time. These kept my hands warm while providing enough effective dexterity to operate the gears, brakes, and bell.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 02-12-21 at 09:58 PM.