View Single Post
Old 07-29-21, 04:07 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well it makes no sense to me to hug the curb when someone passes. That means that if you have a problem, that you'll have less options to do anything.

If someone is going to pass you then let them wait till they can safely pass. Don't look like you are telling them it's okay to squeeze by you.

I don't rock tunes with earbuds in my ears. I can play every song and video I know in my head without external help. That leaves my ears open to hear stuff behind me. I consider my hearing lousy, but I know cars are behind me about the same time Varia tells my son cars are behind us.

Though I like that the beep with Varia can knock me out of that daydream when on long stretches of open road and few are around. But how are you going to hear that beep when you are rocking tunes with earbuds?
You are changing the argument. You initially commented about unpredictable riders to which I asked how moving over is unpredictable and would change a driver’s perception. I am not talking about hugging a curb in a urban setting but rather on back roads or secondary roads when I usually ride in the worn part of the road and the car is passing regardless. This way it gives me a extra foot or two. I made other points which you failed to address potholes, choke points, ect. If a car is rapidly approaching I ride through the pothole or stop, if not I go around.

I engaged on this topic when the premise was put forward that riders do not change their riding behavior whether a car is approaching behind them. You see no value in the Varia however at the same time rely on your hearing to determine if a vehicle is approaching. If your behavior does not change if a vehicle is behind you why not listen to music or concern yourself if a car is approaching.

I have yet to encounter anyone who has used a Varia not see the value in having one.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 07-29-21 at 05:00 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: