UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Interesting project.

1. I'd avoid a zipper at all cost. Velcro, maybe. Fastex buckles preferably.
2. No need for a bottom insert. Your luggage will do the trick. (Essential on the back, though, to reduce the risk of something getting caught in your spokes)
3. This being said, Ortlieb rollers are the reference. There are occasional bargains on EBay and such. It may not look like it, but robust, waterproof, safe and convenient panniers are a critical component.
The undesirability of a zipper might be a lesson I'm going to have to learn for myself...

Fortunately, I was just able to borrow a single Ortleib zip-lock style closure pannier, so if the DIY project falls through, that will be an option for the possible near-term ride if a bit awkward in how its mounting clips will push up one side of the trunk bag. But I can make it work and it has the capacity for the alternate clothes I want to haul if my DIY efforts fail.

While I was picking that up I also looked at my brother in law's set of other-brand roll closure panniers which have been a notorious pain to get into. Part of the problem is that they're both a roll closure and then another flap on top of that, so there are just too many steps. Looks like the Ortleib branded ones are just the roller, that might be a bit simpler to fabricate and use.

Still, the temptation of a zipper...

At least the borrowed oddball Ortleib let me figure out the heel interference limit, so I think I'm going with my smaller cutting board backers for now - using the larger ones I'd really need an aluminum reinforcement at the top the handle the amount of extension behind the rack, and I didn't buy that Harbor Freight ruler when I was there getting webbing straps this afternoon - maybe next time.

Originally Posted by Doug64
I made both sets of panniers for our road bikes. I modeled then after normal size panniers, but made them smaller and with more taper on the front side. They were made out of coated packcloth, with sealed seams they were water resistant. For light road trips they worked well. Our daughters used them for a several years, until mom and day got them each a set of Ortlieb panniers for Christmas.

The backing for the panniers is .032 sheet aluminum. The fabric used on the backs is Cordura. It sounds like you have experience sewing so you should do OK. I learned to sew as a parachute rigger, and still think knowing how to sew is a curse
Those amazing pictures suggest your sewing skills are quite more ambitious than mine. There was a time long ago when I had ambitious projects in another realm, these days it's more lift the sewing machine the onto the table the night before a ride and crudely but functionally improvise. Still a sewing machine is a tool like any other and important that it be i the realm of familiarity.

Originally Posted by mtnbud
Here's what I came up with:

On the bike. Have tested on pavement, but not offroad yet.
I like the simplicity of this! And for me it would be even simpler as my fork has a three screw version of a cage mount on each side. But I noticed sticking a flimsier bottle cage on one that it seemed to vibrate a lot. I'm thinking if I make the smaller panniers and put them on the rear now, I may later try to move them to the front by just drilling/punching holes for the cage screws in the backer and an internal aluminum doubler strip. It will be awkward to install the screws with a multi-tool from the inside of the bag and maybe a leak point, but simple and solid. However, if I do that I think I'm going to bend an aluminum inverted-U strap that will go between the two and loop over the tire to give some geometric reinforcement so that they don't vibrate quite as much at road speeds. And that would be part of upping my current credit-card plans to camping ones.

Still, the simplicity of your stuff sacks on the forks... and then I think about something like cutting up some 3-liter soda bottles to give them just a tiny bit more definition.

Last edited by UniChris; 04-20-22 at 05:14 PM.