View Single Post
Old 08-12-21, 08:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Forum member 79pmooney swears the old slotted cleats and leather straps were and still are the bees knees. (Okay, maybe I shouldn't put words into his mouth. But I believe that's what he'll swear, based on many of his posts.) Of course, he also chooses to ride a fixed gear up and down long, steep Oregon hills. A guy who carries an extra fixed gear cog or two and the tool to change them on his hub, a century after the derailler was invented, is probably the only kind of guy who will shun clipless pedals (assuming some kind of retention is called for).

Don't get me wrong--I have some fixed gear and single speed bikes, and I ride them often, on flat-ish terrain. I also have some flat pedals with straps and plastic cages that I use with everyday shoes. I like them as a compromise between bike-specific shoes/clipless pedals and no foot retention. In more extreme riding situations, especially big elevation changes, I don't see why anyone would shun deraillers (or an IGH, or pinion gearbox... something that lets you shift on the fly just by moving a lever). And I fail to understand why anyone would still want 100 year old technology for foot retention, when modern clipless pedals are so good.

Luddites, amiright?
I see you pegged me before I got around to reading the rest of this thread.