View Single Post
Old 09-22-21, 11:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
I got home from a backpacking trip a few days ago. Almost two weeks on Superior Hiking Trail in Northern Minnesota. I tried a new tent on that trip, probably about as close as you can get to a bivy and still being a tent you can sit up inside.

I am not sure who was the first company to design a tent like this, but the first time I saw one on my computer screen was from Six Moons.
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/colle...schutes-bundle

And two years ago I saw one like that at a campground I was staying at, the gal that owned it said it was the first trip that she had ever used it, so far she was very happy with it. She got one on Ebay (Canada), shipped from Asia that was the same design as the Six Moons version that I cited above.

I decided to buy one (the Asian lower cost version). I had no idea if I would like it and I am almost six feet tall, so I was concerned it would be too short. So, I had it in my truck to try out for one night, did not want to roll the dice and use it every night on an almost two week trip if it was not a good tent for me. It was a little cramped, but I think I will use this in the future on some backpacking trips.

There is no pole included, it was designed for backpacking where you likely have trekking poles, not designed for bike trips. You use one trekking pole to set it up. I cut a pole for mine, so there is a pole in my second photo, I have a trekking pole in my first photo.

I am not saying this is the right tent for everyone, but if you are searching for an ultra light tent, this might work. But if you are over six foot, you should probably avoid the Asian version. The on-line reviews I saw on line said there were two spots that needed seam sealing, I sealed those before my trip. And it rained on my trip so I was glad I did that.

If you get one, I would suggest upgrading some of the tent stakes. The most critical stake is the one that is closest to the camera in my photos, you want a really good tent stake there.

I packed some good stakes with mine, I also use a plastic sheet cut from a heavy duty shopping bag for a ground sheet, with those items and the pole that I cut for mine the package weighs 1,325 grams.

I got mine on Ebay over a year ago, but I saw it cheaper than I paid at Amazon as I write this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-3-...dp/B08XW5SJ25/

Please note that I only used mine for one night. So, do not consider this a glowing review, I just can't say much about it with that limited amount of use. But I will likely use it again on backpacking trips. Bike trips, I use four panniers and I want more interior space so this will not go on any of my bike trips.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-22-21 at 11:26 AM.