ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I posted this in SaturnForums and got a reasonable suggestion, but lemme bounce this off any of the thrifty geezer car guys:

The headliner is sagging and has several holes/tears in it. I don't really care about the aesthetics but it's low enough it's touching my head. Google says a DIY headliner replacement is going to take a few hours and I know it will cause me great frustration, so I am seeking a simpler alternative.

Best idea so far is to take out headliner and paint the backing board with latex paint. Seems practical, any comments?
I'm not 100 certain but it's likely a semi pressed Fiber glass thing with foam and fabric glued to it. Joann fabric sells the foam/fabric material. A couple spray cans of adhesive and a few hours, done. It's not a horrible job. Remove the dome light and sun visors. The plastic trim that holds it in place. I use a stiff brush, gently, to remove the old foam. Spray the backer with glue, and let it dry. Put the new material on it fold it in half back on itself and spray with glue. Let it dry. Slowly, carefully apply the glued section to the backer. Then fold the other half so it's backside is exposed. Apply the glue, let dry and apply the material from the gold to edge slowly and carefully. Trim the excess and reinstall. Look at car forums for more detailed instructions. But it's very doable, I've done quite a few.

Last edited by ls01; 06-29-22 at 10:57 AM.