Old 05-04-17, 12:34 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
I've been running 26x1.5" Vittoria Randonneur Pros on my drop bar 85 for a few years (the rear is almost out of tread now), and they're a good mix of speed/weight for longer rides and tire width for dealing with bad pavement on city streets.

I have 26x2" Schwalbe Marathons on my other 85 Cimarron that I have set up as a townie bike for my girlfriend. Heavier, but nice and plush, the extra width is really helpful for surprise potholes. I had used these on my bike first, and really noticed the extra weight on longer rides, but they work great for just getting around town.

Both the randonneurs and the marathons have a reflective sidewall, and after riding with reflective tires in the city for a while, I don't think I'll ever go back.

Those Compass RTPs up above ^^^ look sweet on that seafoam 86. I'd seen those tires before, but never on a Cimarron. I always liked the idea of them, but I have a hard time paying 60+ per tire and I don't think I've ever seen them on sale. The 2.3" size designation is a little spurious though, just read up on them a bit more and found this on the Compass site:

The nominal width of the Rat Trap Pass tires is 2.3″, but on most rims, the tires measure 52 mm (with tubes) and 54 mm (tubeless).

So with tubes, they're really only 2" tires (or around 1-2mm wider).
I've used 27 x 1 1/4 Schwalbe Marathons on another bike and agree they are heavy but the ride is comfy. If I was down to 1 or 2 bikes I would maybe consider the expense of the Compass tires but they are a bit pricey for me too.

@toavii - that is a really great looking Cimarron with those tires!