Old 06-04-16, 08:06 AM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
1" thread less? I'd go threaded unless they are doing a 1-1/8" thread less, then you'll have to use a shim and the stem will look bulky and not quite right. That is a really nice looking frame and it is cool to see Marinoni still in the game. Personally, if I'm buying a modern steel bike I want all the benefits modern engineering affords, I want OS tubing, fig welds, light stiff and a carbon fork. My partner has a great TIG welded 'noni in Zona that is a great sportif which fits 28mm tires with fenders, it's about 10 years old. I passed on all my marinonis except the 1981 Pista special as I came to prefer the ride of 531.
I think if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Piuma model. The lugged retro is very nice, but I already have lugged bikes and they aren't that hard to find. Building this one up was my first foray into ergos and clipless pedals. I'm a lot more comfortable now with modern stuff and would just go all in. Maybe they'd let me trade it in for a new Piuma?? Then again, the difference between Zona and Spirit probably isn't big enough for me to ever notice.

Either way, their prices on new frames are some of the best deals out there.