Old 04-11-21, 07:45 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
WHAM! Hot AF. Why the hell did you post it with those boring 32s when you had those? Hot damn!

That's how Shimano goes, but it's more complicated for Campy, they changed their splines at some point, I think it was when they went 9s. However, cramming ten cogs on a 8s cassette body would be totally doable if you had the means to machine a billet cassette to suit, since Shimano didn't try as hard as they could to package the cassette tightly, and Campy tried even less hard. Increasing dish shouldn't be necessary. I modified a billet 10s cassette to fit a Shimano RS80 wheel I retrofit with a 7s cassette body to reduce the dish, and Campy's 8s cassette spacing was wider than Shimano's. If the cassette is wider than the splines, it can be made to overhang on the flange side quite a bit. Although on a Shimano hub there's probably a bit more flexibility with closing the gap between cassette body and dropout a tad, I'm sure it's still possible.
definitely easier with Shimano. Campy has changed spline set up at least twice between eight speed chorus and new. In my case, I wanted to use my modern wheels (the Sv’s backup I9’s) with my vintage Chorus). I used a new campy freehub from I9, a new nine speed campy veloce cassette (all loose cogs), dropped the largest cog and a fellow I was introduced to online came up with some beautifully machines spacers to match the indexing on the 8spd brifters. Shifts beautifully and my vintage bike has a nice comfy set of wheels set tubeless.

Likes For robbyville: