View Single Post
Old 05-26-21, 11:33 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
I have a tiny urban lot in a town next to Boston, so my entire back yard totals about 700 sq ft. This year we're vegetable gardening for the first time, replacing most of the small section of grass we had left after building out a perennial garden-- we're trying to make the most of a small space and slowly replacing every blade of grass. Last fall I built two cedar beds with A-frame supported trellises out of dimensional cedar boards (not a purchased kit), These shots were taken two weeks ago and things have come up a lot since then! In the first bed are radishes, carrots, chives, sweet peppers, basil, arugula, and snow and snap peas (along the trellis). In the second bed are beets, bush beans, cucumbers (along the trellis), baby lettuces, kale and spinach. We've got several varieties of tomatoes as well as dill, fennel, oregano and thyme growing separately in pots or growing bags. Everything seems to be growing really well (knock on wood) except the beets, which are all shriveling up after growing about 6" tall.
Nice use of space! Sometimes I wish I didn't have so much space. Sorry I don't have any ideas about your beet problem.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash