Old 05-26-21, 05:13 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
This is C&V related only in that planting the garden is why I have only been on two short rides this month. That is par for the course with me at this time of year. At least I get a lot of exercise forking over the soil.

Not much is up yet. The garlic and spinach look good, though. The onions, just to the left of the garlic, are too small to see, I think. I planted half of the second plot, in the background, to flint corn yesterday. I'm going to cover-crop the other half with buckwheat and, wouldn't you know it, red clover. By the time the corn is up, we will (I hope) be beyond danger of frost. We had a light one here on Sunday morning, but it was spotty and didn't even touch the few optimistically-early tomatoes or basil.

What are other people growing this year?
I'm loving the terraced raised beds. very nice! And the spacing between the rows is very generous. Can I ask about the electric fence? How much did you have to spend for it? I have heard that Tractor Supply or Rural King sells kits and you can make up a basic setup for less than $100. Is this true? I used to have bumper crops of tomatoes every year but in more recent years the local deer population have moved into my neighborhood thanks to all the dumb housing developments popping up everywhere. The deer will discover that they can consume the entire top of a healthy tomato plant while it is tender. Once they make this realization, they habitually come back every night until each plant is decimated! I did buy a 100 foot roll of 5' high universal animal netting which made it difficult for me to manage the plants and blocked the sun a bit. The deer could sometimes act like a Giraffe and still eat over the tops of the animal netting ,

I have yet to plant this year's garden. I hope to get tomatoes and peppers out in the next few days. Basil too!. It is already too late to plant Kohlrabi seed. Oh well. I love Kohlrabi so I may plant them in late September for a fall harvest. I also plan to put out whatever seed I have including indian cor.

Last edited by masi61; 05-26-21 at 05:19 PM.