View Single Post
Old 01-26-23, 03:35 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Well, if you're serious, I'll give you a brief rundown of the 3 BQ races I have experience with:

MCM is the people's marathon. Big time with lots of energy around the event. Logistics can be difficult because of the big city. Nice course, relatively flat. Can still be hot there even in October. Overall experience is good. They moved the package pick up back to the Armory this past year. Logistics for getting your packet are not very good.

Richmond is billed as the friendliest marathon. Good size, not too small or big. Pretty, scenic course, relatively flat. Enthusiastic crowds. Usually good weather, but can be cold, hot or in between. Most years, you're running in the 40s to 50. The city/area does a good job of putting on the event. Package pickup is not close to downtown where the race is held. Without a car you'll have to Uber it.

The Shamrock in VA Beach is a big, rolling St. Patrick's Day party! You better like the color green. Flat course except for an overpass you go over on the way out/in. Course is not very exciting. You do run through Fort Story and on the boardwalk along the beach/ocean. Awesome after party. The weather there in March can be hit or miss. It's either nice and sunny, or rainy, windy and F-N cold!
I will run a marathon and may or may not BQ but I prefer to start with a goal. Steamboat, Sacramento, North Bend are the courses that I had targeted either due to proximity of family and/or speed.

I was just looking for guidance on learning technique. It seems to me that running technique is more technical than cycling or at least that is my impression from long distance hiking. I can hike 26 miles with a pack in the mountains, I just do not know how to run. There is a really fast lady marathoner around here and she has a very fast cadence, mine is very slow and long and wrong.