View Single Post
Old 02-07-23, 09:03 AM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Was a long time runner and did a few marathons but after a hip replacement my running days were over.
This is what I've found out in the 8 years since which very much surprised me. I do miss running though.As a lifelong runner I appreciate there are certainly advantages to running over cycling but many people aren’t aware of the advantages cycling has except perhaps for number 1.

1. Joints- Less pounding.

2. Ride out of the saddle and you are exercising different muscles

3. HIIT- Cyclists can mix in high intensity interval training anytime on their ride regardless of how long or short the ride is. For example, whether you’re riding for 30 minutes, an hour or longer a cyclist can sprint then slow down, then sprint again and repeat as often as needed. Runners rarely mix HIIT with long runs. Cyclists do it all the time just by pedaling up challenging hills.

4. Time Riding- Cyclists can ride longer which is great cardiovascular exercise. I lowered my resting heart rate by 5 beats

5. Muscle Mass- Cycling can help build muscle mass.

6. Balance- Running has no equivalent to balancing on your bike as you cycle. Cyclists can work on their balance by riding no hands. Cyclists have to maintain balance as they take fast corners and do fast descents. There really isn’t an equivalent for runners.

7. Hand Eye Coordination- Cyclists have to constantly pay attention to potholes, cracks, sand, drain covers, cars and adjust very quickly. Great for riders as they grow older.

8. Breaks- Cyclists can stop for a minute, a few minutes or even longer for a snack, a meal, then get back on the bike. Not easy for a runner to stop for 15-20 minutes and then start running again.

9. Cadence- regardless of the terrain cyclists can change gears throughout the ride to accommodate different training goals. Easy or hard pedaling is a cyclists choice and it can vary on different rides or during the same ride. And it’s easy to measure and track cadence.

10. Arms, Hands and Wrists are in constant use when you ride. Add standing and they get more use. For runners they are basically along for the ride!