View Single Post
Old 02-17-23, 10:08 AM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
110 bcd triple/double bashguard question

So I’m in the middle of creating a build spec for a Surly Bridge Club. Thank you to those who answered my earlier question from a couple days ago about rims. Now I’m looking at drive train.

I have a cargo bike with a 44/34/24 110/74 bcd triple (Andel spider/square taper) crankset and 11-36 10 speed cassette in the back so I am kinda familiar with how these things work. I lowered the outer and middle chain rings last year (from 48 to 44 and 36 to 34) and it has really made the entire crankset more useable.

But for this build I am flirting with a 1x11 system with a 32 T crank and 11-51 in the back for simplicity however what is making me lean towards a 2x10 system is a few things (sorry for the wind - just setting the stage for my question here):
1) Front derailleur will help with chain retention
2) To spread wear over 2 chainrings instead of 1
3) Way better chain line for the gear range with the right length bottom bracket
4) Theoretical tighter gaps between gears due to having less range in the rear cassette for better cadence matching.

I realize the double chain ring comes with more complexity, a weight penalty, and extra shifter etc.

So here is what I am thinking:
A front double with either 36 or 34 outer and 28 inner with an 11-42 10 speed rear cassette. With 27.5 x 2.25” tires I’ll have a nice low 17 gear inch’s on the lowest gear and the gap between outer and inner chain ring is almost akin to a half step which makes for more or less a jump between outer and inner that is akin to a jump in gears between while shifting the rear cassette. So my question is for 110/74 spiders:

If you got a 110/74 bcd triple spider (I know they make doubles) do they have a bashguard that replaces the outer chain ring position ? Or does it go overtop of the outer chainring ? And then I could use the 36 or 34 for the middle (now outer) and a 28 for the inner (74 bcd). Any thoughts on this and the above are welcomed. Thanks!