View Single Post
Old 09-02-21, 04:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
This is from somewhere up there looking back toward Lone Pine. The Alluvial Fan, or Plain, is ridiculous. I just remember grinding for long time without feeling like I was getting closer to the mountain.If you turn around and look back you can see it. It's a relief when you finally get to the canyon.

The only other time I had that feeling quite that bad was in the Tejon Pass when 2 of us were riding from hwy 138 to Gorman into a strong headwind. It just didn't seem to be getting any closer for a long time.
Back when I was doing a lot more climbing, I did West Alpine from Pescadero Road to Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It was the first (and so far ONLY) time I'd ever ridden it, I had no GPS, and the whole time I don't think I saw even one car, and maybe one or two other cyclists. It's a longish climb that just keeps going and going and going. It was a little creepy, and I was really relieved to arrive at Skyline, let me tell you!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: