View Single Post
Old 08-23-22, 09:43 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
I'm subscribed. I love old Trek Singletracks, and I actually have one of these exact frames, a Singletrack 930, from '97 I believe. Green. I think it is the medium size, 17"-ish. Bought it as the whole bike but wanted to build it up with nicer components. I wonder if I can find an old post I made (either here or a different forum) in which I stripped the frame down and weighed it. I've also got a '96 Trek 990 and a mid-90s MultiTrack 750. Just the tigged frames, although I did have a ('92?) red Trek 970 I think that was lugged that I refurbished and sold on behalf of a bicycle non-profit. The frame was too big for me, but I tooled around on it anyway for at least a while - I'll probable end up with one of those in my size too one day.

The '94-'96 and '97-'98 frames are different. The 94-96 had OXIII as the top of the line, and you are right the 97-98 Treks had the same frame between the 930 and 950, and used OXII tubing. I don't think they ever released these frames with a steel fork, as I think the geometry and riding trend was heavily 'pro-suspension' at this time. This is truly Trek's VERY last American made steel mtb frame, sort of the last hurrah. You are starting to inspire me to do something with this frame!

My main squeeze is my '96 990 that I have converted (similar to you) into a bit of a hybrid 'do all' type bike. I found a 700c cyclocross fork and right now the bike is sporting 700c wheels, albeit with a poorly functioning road caliper brake mounted to the seatstay bridge. I am going to rebraze the canti posts further up after a bit more research. For a while I had a road seat, 7410 cranks, very small ti-spindled pedals on the bike, and it was FAST! It has some different/heavier components now as I'm using parts elsewhere, but these bikes can be built up pretty light - they are a super fun project. Folks were concerned I was going to have BB height issues with the 700c wheels, but have literally never ever noticed it. I'll try and dig up a pic if I can.

Keep posting - I can talk about these old Treks all day!

EDIT: I stand corrected on some of the info above. I was a year off. The second gen frames went from '94-'97, not '96. The last gen was '98-'99. Trek discontinued the Singletrack line after that and no new American made steel mtb framed bikes appeared in their 2000 and up catalogs. 1999 was the last great year of the Singletrack! I can't wait to have one from each generation. I believe the gen II (1994-1997) is the lightest, with the OXIII tubing used on the higher end Singletracks. All I need now is the '93 970 to complete the trifecta!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 08-24-22 at 04:28 PM.