View Single Post
Old 08-24-22, 04:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Oooh, I would too.

These are underappreciated bikes.

Good news is that they are still not super collectible, yet. They are still currently in that sweet spot of being way better (frame-wise) than your avg 'old mtb' yet still can be found for 'old mtb' prices. Even a lot of bike-savvy people don't think much of them but they will be classics, all of them one day. The lugged frames are already getting there.

My '96 990 is one of my all time favorites just because it has been so fun to build up, play around with parts, etc. It is the perfect project bike, and I've probably enjoyed the planning and building stages as much or more than the riding. It is a 700c conversion that has lots of little things that still need hammered out, but it is progressing. I don't know if I'll ever been done with it, but I also don't know if that is really a bad thing.
This one wasn't a project bike; it had been upgraded, so the seller wanted $350 for it. I don't think it sold, I think it just fell off the end of the CL listings.