Old 09-16-21, 11:07 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by lbholla
I am an inexperienced/unconfident cyclist that is also fairly short, with short legs (5'1"). I currently have a Trek M-2025 SR suntour 3700, 16", and I don't like it at all. I cannot easily touch the ground from the seat at it's lowest position, and I always feel unsafe because of it. I have to hit the breaks HARD to stop, so that I'm pushed forward off the seat by my momentum ... I never feel like I'm really confident about my balance on this bike, and ...
Until you have more time in the saddle, more time riding over a variety of terrain, it's hard to say how soon you'll feel better-balanced and more-confident with cycling.

As others have suggested, a different bike might help.

The Trek Electra crank-forward (pedal-forward) bikes might suit you well. They tend to have lower seating positions due to the cranks being farther forward, allowing you to touch the feet from the saddle when needing to, yet having your knee bend during pedaling at the appropriate amount. Plus, more-upright handlebars sound like they'd be better for you. On a pedal-forward bike (Electra is just one line of bikes of this sort) and an upright-style handlebar, you'll change your weight distribution and be closer to the ground. In the step-through frame models, you'll also be able mount, ride and dismount without having to worry about a tall top tube keeping your feet from easily and safely getting to/from the ground.

Definnitely worth test-riding two or three of these types of bikes, to compare. Might well be able to trade, if it gets you in a better position that's better-balanced and allows you greater confidence riding.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...bikes/c/EB600/
Likes For Clyde1820: