View Single Post
Old 08-22-20, 05:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
Three and a half hour ride. I left hydrated. I did not drink anything until I was over an hour into my ride. Melted by then. Still not warm yet, so I suppose it helped a bit.
No water bottle sized chunk of ice is going to last long in temperatures over about 80°F and the hotter it is, the less long it will last. Even insulation won’t help that much. Simple thermodynamics.

If you want cold water for a longer time...easily the 3.5 hours...use a hydration pack. I’ve used 100 oz Camelbaks packed with as much ice as it will hold in temperatures as high as 100°F for up to 4 hours and still had some ice left. As an added benefit, the hydration pack is cold against your back. I know this is sacrilege in road biking circles but the Camelbak was invented by road bike riders for road bike rides.

Originally Posted by holytrousers
How long was your ride ? You shouldn't be drinking water that has ice in it anyway.
There is nothing wrong with drinking ice water. It’s refreshing and, for most people, encourages consumption of more water. The point is to drink water and most people don’t really enjoy drinking hot water.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: