Old 06-01-22, 12:08 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
The problem with recumbent bike seats is, that they are made for 1 size fits all which it actually does not. I am a tall person at 6'4" with rheumatoid arthritis and have not found a recumbent yet with a seat that works for my back.
All the seat backs are too short and the shapes never support my back where they should. I modified my bike-E seats and I had two seats for my Phantoms custom build by member ADC here in the forum. Extra long seat back and wider than the original. This has saved my back big time and I now ride hours after hours without pain. I just did a 6h ride on Sunday.
To have my seat custom made I traced the outline of the back rest of other seats I have at home. One is firm modern recliner and the other an aftermarket car seat for tall persons. May sound funny but with that procedure I was able to design a pattern which works for my back.
I'm short and have the same but opposite problems. I bought a memory foam cushion designed for office chairs, with straps, and it's helping. I do have to reposition it sometimes but it not only keeps the frame lumbar shape from hitting me wrong, it also helps absorb some of the bumps when I ride. I don't imagine it will last more than one season as memory foam tends to deflate but it wasn't expensive. I'll probably look for something self-inflating next time as those last a few years.