View Single Post
Old 09-15-22, 09:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've always used gas or multifuel stoves since I started backpacking in 1963. For trips from home, I use Coleman fuel. For distant trips especially involving air travel, I use pump gas. Usually one can just take a hose down to ground level and pour what's left in the hose into a small container. When I toured on my motorcycle, I could drain gas out of the tank into a small fuel bottle. I've also poured gas from my fuel bottle into the bike's tank when I was low on gas. A great advantage of gas stoves is the universal availability of fuel, speed of cooking, and general convenience. Svea 123 and Optimus Nova are my faves. The Optimus is a multifuel but I've never burned anything but gas or Coleman fuel in it.
I've always read and been told that gasoline in the SVEA123 was a no no. I have heard that folks did it, but thought is was an "at your own risk, only in an emefgency" kind of thing. Did you routinely burn pump gas in your 123 with no issues? I am not sure whar was supposed to happed. Flare up into a fireball? Just soot up? Ruin the wick? Clog the jet? More than one of the previous items?

I love my SVEA, but I have never burned gasoline in it. I'd never fly with it for fear that they'd confiscate it. I have a sentimental attachment so, if I fly I take the whisperlite, a canister stove, or an alcohol pop can stove.