View Single Post
Old 09-15-22, 09:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Yup. And not obvious what to do (ex refill an "official" fuel bottle, strap on top of the other stuff; do you discard excess fuel, how, etc.).

The more info I get, the more I think that, in Ladakh, canister will be the default option (available in several towns due to the popularity of trekking), in addition to a small emergency alcohol stove and hand sanitizer. Or perhaps learning the best way to cook on yak dung which apparently can fuel a backpacking wood stove
Ya, I've jammed an oversize flexible-ish France grocery store bought large bottle into a bottle cage after filling my official red MSR bottle, just to take it along, figuring if it leaked it would be better there than in a pannier. I probably left this in a campsite area for others, and at end of trips, I have also given extra fuel to regular people for them to use.
That makes sense about cannisters with trekking popularity, and an alcohol stove as backup seems like a good idea.
Cow dung is burnt in India non? I know someone who grew up in a house where they used peat in the stove, and it apparently has a very particular smell, as I'm sure Yak dung does also !