View Single Post
Old 11-18-21, 06:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I don't know about you, your proportions, all of that .... but it looks to me like you are putting way too little of your hands on way too little of the bar. Fine if you are always pushing hard, but it might wear on your wrists if you go for mileage.

Of course it might not ... but some people ride very uncomfortable bikes because they think bikes are supposed to be uncomfortable.

I like what some call "the flats"---the portion of the bar pointing forward, outboard and ninety degrees off of the Tops---to be parallel to the ground, with the hoods positioned so the back end of the hood is also parallel to the ground. This way I can put my hands in a couple places on the bars with a lot of area supported, and with a direct bone line--I am actually pushing on the bars with the bones of my forearm and through my hands, with my wrists unflexed, so my wrists bear zero actual weight. If my wrists are bent to hold on,. I am reacting all my upper body weight and all the impact on the front fork through my wrists .... and my wrists are not strong enough to take all that repeated impact, the constant vibration and my body weight (yeah,. I know you are a lightweight ) for too many miles.

That way I can use several distinct hand positions on the flats behind the hoods, on the flat of the hood, on the bottom of the hood/flat while gripping the upper (shift body) portion of the brifter, and a couple positions fully on the brifter. (I don't ride in the drops much .... I don't want to compromise the positive effect of that giant aero-belly, you know ( )

I also play with the inward lean of the brifters .... well i also use both 42- and 44-cm bars so .... whatever .....

I always think I have it right until I try something better .....
Likes For Maelochs: