View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 01:17 PM
Murmur1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
O.P., you're missing the point. For long distance riding and touring, it's likely you're going to be more focused on efficiency than comfort. In addition, you're going to have to get into shape to push those pedals for hours on end. If you start to focus on riding (and especially pedaling) for longer times, you'll probably start developing some leg strength and endurance that'll let you tolerate a rigid bike for longer periods.
Thank you for your constructive post!

Yeah I'm aware that more power mean less weight on saddle and hence less need for suspension.

Regarding efficiency, well that's an interesting subject. A few years ago, I remember finding several scientific studies which proved that a suspended fork is either more efficient or not less efficient than a rigid fork, even on roads (I should search for those studies again).

Also, I wonder if, below a certain level of comfort, efficiency also decreases in very long distance riding. One thing I know is I couldn't ride for hours on a rigid bike with narrow tires. Not only because I'd feel much less safe, but also (and mainly) for comfort.