View Single Post
Old 09-05-21, 10:03 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 241 Posts
I took an early morning ride today,Sunday, to beat both the weather and the crowds, heading east into Cambridge and then Somerville, to check out the progress of the ongoing path work. First I rode over to Fresh Pond Reservation, via the Minutemen and Alewife. Last time I went that way, the Huron Ave underpass was not yet open. Well, technically it is still not open. The picture below was taken near the Cambridge Water Department building:

The Jersey barrier on the right has a "Road Closed" sign. But it was just too tempting, and I could see folks on the path up ahead, so checked it out. I was able to ride to this point on the Watertown Cambridge Greenway:

I believe that's the back of the Mt Auburn St Star Market on the left. On the right there's a ramp that leads up to the street. I didn't try it, but one could presumably detour that way and pick up the rest of the Greenway.
From there I doubled back to Alewife and rode the Cambridge Linear Park and Somerville Community Paths to Lowell St. No changes there since my last report. One note, except for the new section of the Greenway, the pavement quality on these paths is terrible, not very comfortable on 25mm tires.

Rode back to Alewife, and for good measure did the out-and-back on the Fitchburg Cutoff before heading home to Arlington.

I rolled in to my driveway about 10:30, the drizzle starting a few minutes later. Good timing!

Last edited by bike_tom; 09-05-21 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fix typos
Likes For bike_tom: