Old 12-14-21, 10:48 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
What are the general weather condition when and where you do your nighttime riding? And, how long (time-wise) do your rides usually last? Just wondering if you really need the powered hand warmers and insoles, or if you could be by without them. For example…maybe a good shoe cover would provide the extra protection and eliminate the need for the insoles. And, the right gloves/mittens might do the same for the hand warmers.

Dan
Often I'll be out when its between -10 and -15C, frequently windy. I try not to go out much anymore when its below -20C. I'm usually out for at least 1.5 hours, often 2 - 3 hours.

For years I've gotten by without heated gloves, but would have intermittent periods of numbness on every ride. Usually worse towards the end of the ride where my gloves start getting damp and don't insulate as well. When I started using bar mitts my hands were better. My hands are so much better with the heat, its worth the extra hassle.

Heated insoles I definitely can't do without and have been using them for a decade. Even right around freezing with winter boots I'm only good for up to an hour without heat. The mechanics of pedaling seem to hinder circulation, as when walking my feet are rarely cold in the winter. I tried adding extra insulation to the outside of boots which didn't help much.

With raynauds your body over reacts to cold exposure and cuts off circulation to the fingers / toes. Without circulation they'll get cold fast regardless of how good the insulation is. I think there is a feedback loop to it, when they start getting cold more circulation is reduced, making them colder, reducing more circulation. Active heat seems to prevent that progression.