Old 10-10-17, 11:18 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
I agree with Carleton. You have to use what works best for you.

Early in the year, I experimented with aero bars in the 500. I did like the way they felt in the second lap, but my start really suffered. Being an old guy, I can't really make up the time I lost on the start by going faster for the rest of the ride. I am at least 1 second faster in sprint bars than aero bars, and that difference is all in the start. The three fastest first laps in the 65+ team sprint at WCs this Sunday were done on sprint bars (note, you must use sprint bars in the team sprint), and I know that those guys will be using sprint bars in the 500 on Wednesday. The issue is how well you transition from the starting bars to the aero extensions. I just never could get that down, and I could actually feeling myself letting up slightly when I tried to get in aero position.
I find it curious that Hoy did his 500m WR (24.758" at altitude) using aero bars.

Maybe he had extensive aerobar training to nail the start and transition because he was focusing on the kilo at that time and he went there chasing the Kilo WR. The 500M attempt was a last minute thing at the end.

My guess is that he would have gone faster in drop bars. Maybe they didn't pack them for the trip?