Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaise88

I just placed an order for one! Velocio’s ES jersey is already one of my favorites, so I think this will be perfect for really hot days. I am also eyeing their Ultralight Bibs (the Fly Bibs are the most comfortable and practical bibs I’ve worn).
While I love the idea of the mesh jerseys out there for summer heat, how do you all deal with sun protection? As you can pretty much see a lot thru these types of jerseys, it seems by default that the sun is likewise going right thru them. So, you can lather on sunscreen underneath, but is there any concern of staining and discoloration of the nice jersey from doing so? Are there materials or brands or the methods used to dye jerseys their colors that are known to be problematic or safe?
Alternatively, you could wear a base layer underneath, which might negatively impact the cooling effect that the jersey touts (and would be fairly visible thru the jersey as well)? I've typically stuck to lightest weight jerseys I can find that don't have mesh panels, but is this necessary?