View Single Post
Old 01-16-20, 11:51 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Editorial Comment On Sellers

Can you say BULL PUCKY?

Some eBay sellers who don't know, or weren't there, frequently guess or "embroider" information in their listings!

A lot of them are "pickers", yard sailors or pawn shops. Folks figuring on making a fast buck flipping stuff. This seller's handle is "California Bike Pickers" that should tell you a lot....

We sold Klein frames back in the mid 70's and had some of the first ones to hit the market so we knew a lot of the developmental history. Cannodale frames were contemporaries of Klein and maybe came a little later.

The one thing that I remember was that the Klein frames were BRUTALLY STIFF! Some of the early ones had boron carbide??? fibers epoxied to the bottom bracket area to increase stiffness.

It's been almost 45 years and I never cared much for the oversized aluminum frames so I might be wrong about this but the weld beads on the early Kleins were not smoothed so they looked crude.

I'm always suspicious of resprays on eBay and CL. Paint can hide a multitude of sins.

With the exception of work done by recognized restorers like Cycleart, Brian Bayless and so on, bikes that have been repainted always send up a red flag for me if I can't inspect them in person.

Just like frames and bikes that don't have the original fork! WHY?

What happened to the fork that resulted in replacement?

BTW, I think that the replacement fork is from a Vitus frame???

The welding on the seat stays looks really cobby like it was done by an amateur!

Caveat emptor!

verktyg

ADDENDUM:

Took a close look at the frame in question... It appears that someone put indentations into the chain stays for crank arm clearance rather than install a wider BB spindle. Prime area for failure, especially in aluminum!

Fine example of the work of a ham fisted hammer mechanic!

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 01-16-20 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For verktyg: