View Single Post
Old 11-30-21, 04:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by IceTee2
... , is there any advantage/disadvantage to combination shift/brake units over separate units? ....
If two parts can be installed so that they both feel like they are both in the right place, that works. If you can't get the two parts to feel right, you will know it.

I had to replace a combination unit when the shifter gave up. But I bought a used one for a buck, so buying a combination one did not cost extra.

Speaking of used parts, many communities have bike coops or bike charities where there are bins of used parts that you can buy. If you have trouble finding the parts you want, see what there is locally. I have bought used parts that are on at least five of my bikes. I think my road bike that I bought new three years ago is my only bike without any used parts on it, but I bought that as a complete bike that did not need anything other than water bottle cages.