Old 05-11-22, 06:11 AM
anitje

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
I think you're looking at it in the wrong way. The issue is what your riding habits are and what you want? A large range drivetrain allows a bunch of different riding needs and style, but there are compromises. My Pinion/Gates Ti custom bike fits most of my needs, except for fast group rides (where I have a drop bike for).
You said you want a commuter/fitness bike. Commuting means easy riding with decent speed and hill climbing ability. If you have steep hills, you can change the sprocket on the Enviolo drive train to suit the hill. The nice thing is with CVT is the gear shift is so progressive and smooth you never feel out of gear. FItness is resistance so you can keep your heart rate at a certain rate or work your legs are a certain load. Gearing is less relevant than resistance. However, if like me, you want to do 13 miles in under 45minutes for your commute, then top speed and not having to kill yourself to keep the pace up to get there on time, then you have to consider the top end of gearing.
Obviously, if you're looking for something lightweight you can toss around, that bike is not your choice.
Great answer. Thanks, Sardines.
I am checking out a used Onyx today, asking $850 with racks. From the comments above I am leaning more towards the Marin, but I am curious.