Old 05-31-22, 03:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I was just noting they use figures (slightly) different from 50/50.

For my way of looking at it, it’s an empirical compromise and I try to run the lowest pressure that avoids issues while being as comfortable as possible. I decide that by connecting measured pressures with how the ride goes.

For my 700x32 bike, Silca recommends 56 front/59 rear. With my current tires, I typically run 55/58 using my Meiser gauge. No need for more in the rear, but much less and I don’t like the feel. Same in the front… no need for more but much less and I don’t like it. I did a ride Sunday where it felt squishy when I was standing and came home to measure 52 psi.

Since you asked, I did quick static measurements and show that it will typically run at least 70 front/30 rear when I am leaning over the bars and standing, which happens dozens of times in a typical ride. That’s why I notice it if the front is below 55 psi.

Otto
I find much the same thing. I'm more sensitive to front pressure than I am to rear in terms of "feel". If the front pressure is too low I really notice it when climbing out of the saddle.