Old 09-27-22, 02:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Glueless patches for low-pressure/high-volume tubes?

(I did a search, and the most recent post title with the word 'Glueless' was 2017, and then nothing before that more recent than 2012, so I guess this question is not too redundant)

I tried a pack of glueless patches (i.e. stickers) once, and they weren't reliable for me. Ever since I have considered them to be at best a means to get home, and I have only used 'proper' vulcanized patches ever since (Park VP-1 or TipTop)

But out on the trail recently, my Krampus flatted*. The VP-1 patch kit unfortunately was very old and the glue was completely dried up. To be prepared for the next time that might happen, I want to start carrying glueless.

I figure at the low pressures of a 3" tire (15psi max), any sticker could be effective for enough miles to get home. Is that true? But still I'd like to buy better ones.

What glueless patches do people like? I'm seeing Park GP-2, Slime Skabs, MucOff, are there other reputable brands? Anybody have success using a tube patched with a glueless sticker long term?

* yes I do tubeless, but my rear tire has proved impossible to set up tubeless** so I'm using a tube.
** whatever suggestion you have, I've tried it, still didn't work***
*** no, I don't want this thread to be about how to set up a tubeless wheel