View Single Post
Old 08-07-20, 11:51 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I ride everyday all year, including through all sorts of crap in winter on the frozen roads of eastern Iowa, and i have been using the latest generation KMC Eco ProTeq chain on my rain/winter bike the last couple of years. It is significantly better through the winter than the previous rustbuster chains from KMC years ago, and i can get through the entire winter season without any rust on the drivetrain (whereas the older version would be a rusty mess by the end of the winter season, having to fight stiff links and crappy shifting)
In fact, i prepped the winter bike with new cables/housing and chain last fall, and after riding all winter, the chain had no rust or stiff links, and still measured as new in the spring. I simply cleaned and lubed the drivetrain about every 100-150 miles, and added lube any time the drivetrain got significantly wet enough to wash off the lube (i use finish line dry lube all year long). I also try to be proactive and will quickly blow off excess water and slush with an air compressor after returning to the garage at the end of the day. For $30 or so, these newer anti-rust chains are a good investment

Last edited by SalsaShark; 08-07-20 at 11:56 PM.
Likes For SalsaShark: