Old 09-22-22, 07:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
THIS! It is a long time understanding that, to be in the bike repair business a long time, having a smart and successful spouse is a very good thing. This is your path to (at least here in the USA) health insurance, bank loans and retirement accounts.

As a former shop owner I learned that the being successful is greatly helped by any of these three preexisting conditions. Owning the building. Inheriting the business and being independently wealthy.

I have resisted in joining this thread for a few days. So many people have rather pie in the sky ideas about this stuff. I strongly suggest seeking some professional help (and not in the usual psychic reference) from any small business consulting non profits. here in the USA we have SCORE (or had 35 years ago when i started my shop). While i didn't carry on with their continuing help attending the first few free classes was very eye opening. In many occupations the actual skill we sell is a small part of running a business that works. Andy
In my areas, the long term shop own the building, are multigenerational (one is at 4th generation now). The other thing these shops do is surf the current trend, whether it be cruiser, fixies or ebikes. the last time I went into one the only drop bar bikes to be found were the not for sale display high on the wall bikes.

I think a better model for the OP to compare with is people doing mobile bike repair. Limited space for parts and accessories, profit from service

Likes For squirtdad: