View Single Post
Old 11-16-19, 12:59 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I don’t know anything about this myself, but remember reading about Bill Walton, both ankles among other things but he still rides.

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/08/1...with-bicycles/
I really needed to see that tonight, thank you!

Originally Posted by wgscott
Get a second (or third ...) opinion. Even a joint replacement would be far less drastic.

Mind if I ask the nature of the injury? I'm six years out of an ankle break, but it never lets me forget.
The joint replacement is far more invasive, and nowhere as proven as other joint replacements. But that is a discussion I intend to have...

March of 2017, I was much much heavier. About 360. In the middle of the night, bathroom trip, I somehow rolled my foot under. And sprained the ankle. But now, it looks like I did a lot more than that. I seem to have ruined ligaments and tendons and at that weight, I wasn't able to heal well. Now in my 240s, and losing, It is holding me back from more exercise.

Needless to say, these "blocks" aren't stacked well any more...

I've watched some YouTube videos tonight that show fusion and life after. So I am feeling a bit better about the process. I had my left knee replaced 9 years ago, and need to my right done too. I know pain. I know how to do PT.

And of course, I have a complication that needs to be tended to first. The joint circled was damaged more than a few times over the years, the collapsed space meant the big toe was no longer protecting the 2nd toe. Now it has an ulcer that isn't healing after 3 months. I'm going to have the tip removed at the last knuckle joint. Not a fun thought. But I don't see many choices, and damn it hurts right now.

Seriously, the videos I've watched are making me pretty comfortable with the idea. One guy even jogs... The toe? If it heals now, it is only going to do it again at some point. I've already had a staph infection, treating with antibiotics. Last thing I need is a MRSA infection. If it gets to the bone, I could lose that existing knee implant, not to mention the 2 rods and 10 screws in my spine.