View Single Post
Old 09-21-13, 07:13 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have to believe that American one-speed coaster-brake bomber style bikes were more common in this country than English three-speeds at some point in time. Yet the 3-speeds have survived in greater numbers. I see so many of them in use in Manhattan. I think it's the most reliable and useful kind of bike I can think of. Manhattan has recently seen an explosion of bikes and cycling. Tons of bikes are locked up in public, and many bikes stay out overnight, which is relatively new. Many of the bikes have the characteristic white portion of the rear fender.

Noglider You are right! Single speed coaster brake bikes were 100x as common as English Racers in 1950's Phillidelphia(sic) and NOLA and rural small town louisiana.
We usually called them English Racers- Raleighs and Royce Unions(not sure who made Royce Unions-copy of Raleigh I guess)
They were as exotic to us as a fighter jet or a Triumph MC- little Kids would gather around them when they were "parked" on the sidewalk. Of course back then folks rode on the sidewalk whenever possible (cars had crummy brakes-and adults rarely rode bikes-older "kids" rode delivery bikes for grocery stores pharmacies etc)

Lotta 24" tires on bikes- back then,so the 26" tires looked very skinny and "fast"