View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 07:15 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
I find the complaints from FolderBeholder extremely ironic. I recall talking with him for about 30 minutes, and expected his order. I actually held up price increases for him, however his order never came. Four years later he complains that I increased prices 60 days after his expected order Logically he could have ordered at the lower price for an extended period of time, or he could choose a competitor to purchase. Instead he expected me to hold inventory for him at his required price. That's too much to ask, and I am glad he is not a customer. My University teaching positions have subsidized Downtube sales for nearly twenty years....is that not enough???

This is a tough thread to read... I felt truly sad reading it. I do not put these ridiculous requirements on others ( sell for 70% off, unlimited phone time, no raising prices, etc ), is there a reason people put these requirements on me???

Thanks,
Yan
Pure hogwash Yan. You neither held, nor offered to hold any product for me, at any price point. Nor did you warn me you’d be raising prices. We spoke in detail and an increase was not part of our convo. And as you admit, you obviously weren’t able to be solely profitable as a bicycle company without subsidizing DT with your day-job, and for that I’m truly sorry for you. Most people would’ve pulled the plug on this sooner, so you get the tenacity award. But, that doesnt change my experience.

And I’ve I’ve frequently commented to others that I was glad to have ended up going the way I did. For the record, since I purchased my first folders (those 2 Urbanos) I’ve since added 2 Bromptons (whose prices are exactly what they were in 2018 when we bought them BTW) as well as 2 Tokyobikes. And some additional EuroMinis as gifts. So, I’m “somebody’s” good customer just not yours and that was my choice, not yours.

Even after I bought those first Urbanos, you still felt it apropos to contact me and ask me to weigh my EuroMinis so you could publicly assail their 24# claimed weight by the seller.

But at the end of the day, and as a businessperson who has been in the tech sales buisness since 1977, I can tell you that people buy from whom they feel welcome, and they don’t wish to chase a rapidly upward -moving price-point. (my sales are big-ticket, and have a much longer gestation period than a bicycle purchase) Thats precisely where you came up short for me, and THAT’S the part of the equation I don’t believe you get. Perhaps it simply wasn’t meant to be, a buy-sell relationship between us, and that happens, but let’s get the events correct for the record.