Old 03-03-22, 10:19 PM
winfred0000

Bikes: 1998 Diamondback mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
My vote: buy the $120 Velocity Cliffhanger rear wheel (sounds like you already have a solid front wheel) and ride on! Since your bike is your main transportation, that’ll leave money leftover for other repairs and maintenance that will come up. You could pay a good shop to check spoke tension and install on your bike and adjust your shifting and brake with the new wheel if you want that peace of mind, or do it yourself. Don’t forget you’ll need a spacer for your 7 speed cassette.
Hi bboy314 and to anyone here!

Thanks very much for your input! Please bare with me still asking questions as I’m such an amateur. So those islets around the spoke holes in the rim don’t make much difference with strength? I ask because the Cliffhanger for $119 doesn’t have them.

Is that wheel strong enough I can go camping and pull a CoHo X trailer too?

They say: “...the rear hub is 135mm spacing for Hybrids 'Crossover' bikes or your Mountain Bike.” Does that mean the space in the frame for them to fit is okay because my 1998 Diamond Back 3140 CroMo frame is a standard mountain bike frame and would have 135mm spacing… so don’t worry about that?

Are the brass nipples this wheel has okay in regions where they use salt on the streets like here in Minnesota?

This is probably a foolish question but… why don’t they say what kind of Shimano hub they use?

Also with my present tube type tires like the Suomi 240 studded tires 26 x 1.9 for winter and my Schwalbe Marathon plus 26 x 2.0 for summer will fit okay with the Cliffhanger 25mm inner rim width?

Will my tube type tires work even though they say their rim is for tubeless tires? If their rim is for tubeless tires aren’t they supposed to have a mounted presta valve on them?

They also don’t say how many spokes per wheel. Is it okay not to worry because their rims are so strong it’s not important to say how many spokes their wheel has?

Thanks very much!

Winfred